Finance degrees is a very broad domain and has several disciplines and sub-domains under this group. There can be numerous permutations and combinations of various disciplines in a course curriculum depending upon the academic level. However, all financial courses in Singapore or any other developed nation fall under the following categories.
- Associate degrees: An associate degree in finance and accounting usually lasts for 24 months or less. Associate degrees focus on providing the essential skills and the basics of financial subjects. Finance graduates with associate degrees can score entry-level, trainee or associate positions in banks, accounting firms or other such financial institutions.
- Bachelor degrees: Bachelor or undergraduate degrees in finance delve deeper into the subject matter as opposed to associate degrees. You are introduced to complex financial principles, terminology and theory. Some bachelor’s courses also give the basics of domains associated with finance such as wealth management and stock-trading depending upon the curriculums. Undergraduate degrees can allow you to work in slightly senior positions like wealth executives or customer relationship officers at a bank.
- Master’s degrees: Depending on the type of the programme, master’s degrees in financial subjects can be earned in one to two years. The curriculums build on undergraduate knowledge and give in-depth expertise of a specific discipline. Most master’s degrees can allow you to specialise in the financial subject of your choices such as banking or accounting. While a master’s degree is not required to start a career in the domain, it is recommended if you want to specialise in a specific discipline or want to progress to managerial positions.
- Doctorate degrees: Doctorate degrees are extremely advanced courses and can take anywhere between three to six years to complete. A doctorate in finance is the highest qualification in the domain you can achieve. Since earning a doctorate requires a lot of efforts and patience; you should pursue the course only if you want to become a consultant or an industry expert. To earn a doctorate, you have to possess a master’s and an undergraduate degree.
- Short courses: Short courses in finance are usually meant to supplement your existing knowledge and help you enhance your career prospects. While short courses cannot help you get your dream job on their own, they can complement your academic background and help you stay relevant in your field.
What is the benefit of pursuing a financial education in Singapore?
Singapore is one of the global financial hubs and is home to thousands of large-scale financial companies as well as start-ups. It is also home to a flourishing global stock market and contributes heavily to the economic development in the world. Hence, pursuing a financial education in this tiny country can be an excellent decision if you want to launch a successful global financial career.
Singapore has hundreds of internationally recognised universities offering all types of finance degrees available under the sun. You can select a course as per your professional interests and academic eligibility. Get an undergraduate degree in finance in Singapore today to take the first step towards a global financial career.