Citronella oil is a very popular essential oil extracted from Cymbopogon Nardus, a specific type of lemongrass. It is a grass that grows in Asia and the South Pacific. How it got the name is because of its strong lemony fragrance. The method of steam distillation produces an essential oil the concentrates the scent so that it is easy to identify at first sniff.
There are a lot of uses of citronella oil. It is majorly used as a repellent for bugs and insects. The reason that citronella essential oil is used in insect repellent as the main ingredient comes from its natural ability to keep mosquitoes and other insects away without the use of harsh chemicals. It also acts to repel flies and fleas, which can also bear a variety of diseases.
Apart from these, citronella oil also has many other uses. Some of them are,
- Citronella oil is known to help prevent or treat a variety of common health conditions when used in aromatherapy, including Anxiety, Colds, depression, difficulty urinating, fever, menstrual cramps, etc. It also helps people sleep better at night and gives them hope and happiness.
Citronella Oil Cleans the house
- Citronella essential oil kills many germs in the kitchen and bathroom which cause odours and illnesses. It is antifungal, and it prevents mould and mildew. The new scent of citronella deodorizes the air everywhere you use it.
- Citronella essential oil, being an awesome detoxifier, keeps our internal system clean and pure, which reflects on our skin. You can quickly get safe and radiant skin by using this oil.
- Its antibacterial properties tend to minimize skin infections such as acne, warts, burns, etc. The antiseptic aspect of the oil also prevents septicity in wounds and injuries
- Citronella essential oil application on the skin will significantly improve our complexion. By making it cleaner, it enhances the skin tone and effectively tightens the skin pores too. Citronella oil is used in a variety of skincare items because of different skin benefits, including sunscreen lotions, acne reduction creams, oil retention creams, and so on.
- This may be added to the skin to stop bites of insects, which also avoids allergies. The main application of oil for hair is the management of oil on the scalp. It can be used as a spray and is very effective in removing excessive hair fat.
Besides drying dirty hair and skin
- It even soothes and softens them. It also helps with frizzy hair by properly de-tangling the hair strands
- Regular use of oil can stimulate urine production, which eventually speeds up detoxification. This keeps our renal system safe, as well as the entire body. The essential oil is of great help in treating fluid retention problems. It maintains the water balance in our body and helps us stay away from spasms or stomach muscle cramps
- The spasmodic design and heating properties also significantly assist in abdominal cramps.
- It’s a fantastic pain reliever. If its muscle pain or joint pain, only adding three drops of citronella essential oil to the sore area will do magic.